Search This Blog

Friday, October 9, 2009

The Golden Rule

'Do to others what you would like to be done to you.' I was told about the Golden Rule from a very young age, and I still live by this saying today. 

A few days ago, I was on the bus with a friend when we came across a driver who did not follow this rule or think it was golden at all. 

We were sitting quietly when asked, "Well, are you getting of here or what?" 
Since our stop wasn't for quite some time we answered, "No, we are going back to the terminal to catch a bus to the University" (I understand that some students/young adults can be disrespectful to authority but this was not us) 

The Driver went on to accuse us of making her late for all of her other stops and that we should have taken another bus. This was very frustrating and confusing to me because all of the buses in town return to the terminal and how am I the reason the bus is late for its' other stops? 

I responded by saying, "We are allowed to take the bus," 
And the driver just kept saying "COME ON" (which to me seemed like the only thing she could say, since we were doing nothing wrong)

I just sat for the rest of the ride thinking about how many individuals who could take her job and enjoy their work during these economic times.  I realize that her anger wasn't directly about us, and maybe she was having a bad day, but it still was not right. 

This was one of many times where I came to think about how some adults treat teenagers. I often hear our elders saying kids today aren't respectful like they were in our day, but that also makes me think.

Are adults always respectful to teenagers? 

I feel that if there had been an adult step on the bus instead of me at that stop, that the driver would have never spoken to them the way she spoke to my friend and I. I may be wrong, but I somehow doubt it. 

The question shouldn't be about how teens act today, it should be about what happened to The Golden Rule. It also wouldn't hurt to mention this one, 'If you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything at all." 

This goes for everyone. 

No comments:

Post a Comment